Today in Idaho hospitals and COVID-19 (updated 9/4): Patients, ERs, ICUs
Get daily updates on Idaho hospital capacity, pediatric and adult COVID-19 hospitalizations
In the past week, 54 people with COVID-19 have died in Idaho hospitals.
The numbers this week continued to show record-high hospitalizations, especially in intensive care units. More than half of the ICU patients in Idaho had COVID-19. That is pushing hospitals to the brink of crisis and forcing some of them to postpone non-emergency procedures, like heart surgeries.
Idaho hospitals have managed to add several staffed ICU beds statewide in the days following Idaho Gov. Brad Little’s re-activation of the Idaho National Guard to bring help to overburdened hospitals.
State officials predict the National Guard deployment and staffing help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, in response to the state’s request, will bring up to 370 people to hospitals during this fourth surge in COVID-19 cases.
The number of children hospitalized with COVID-19 in Idaho remains very low. But adults continue to arrive at emergency rooms sick enough to need around-the-clock care.
Federal data show the following, based on reports submitted by hospitals for Friday, Sept. 3. For quick visual reference, numbers in black are unchanged from the previous day, numbers in red are worsened, and numbers in green are improved.
- Idaho hospitals with a critical staffing shortage: 4 (previous day: 4)
- People hospitalized with COVID-19: 529 (previous day: 518) which is 21.3% (previous day: 21.0%) of people hospitalized for all reasons
- Adults in the ICU with COVID-19: 161 (previous day: 164)
- Children hospitalized with COVID-19: 6 (previous day: 3)*
- Patients newly admitted to the hospital with confirmed or suspected COVID-19: 74 (previous day: 69)Children: 0 (previous day: 2)*
Age 18-19: 0 (previous day: 1)20s: 4 (previous day: 4)30s: 9 (previous day: 4)40s: 6 (previous day: 9)50s: 17 (previous day: 15)60s: 16 (previous day: 11)70s: 14 (previous day: 17)80+: 7 (previous day: 5)age unknown: 1 (previous day: 1)
- People who died in Idaho hospitals with confirmed or suspected COVID-19: 12 (previous day: 6)
* The discrepancy in number of children hospitalized and number of children newly admitted appears to be caused by delayed reporting from one or more hospitals.
Note: These numbers may differ from those reported by the state, local public health districts or individual hospitals. There are multiple reasons for this: Some agencies use different methods and data sources. Some Idaho hospitals may be behind on reporting through the federal portal from which the Sun gets its data. Hospital census always fluctuates as patients are admitted, discharged, moved to and from the ICU, and remain hospitalized for ongoing care.